[IAEP] Turtle Art fork idea (was Re: Sugar Digest 2008-12-23)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 19:30:57 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 6:00 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> === Sugar Digest ===
>
> 1. gitorious: It was time to try migrating TurtleArt, the project I am
> maintaining, over to git.sugarlabs.org. The new git system we are
> using, gitorious, has a user interface that is more "web-friendly"
> than any git systems I have used before. It does a good job of leading
> through the process of creating new projects. One of the nice things
> about it is that anyone can create or fork a project unilaterally,
> thus I think it will work well with the distributed nature of Sugar
> development. (So fork your favorite project (TurtleArt) in order to
> try out your ideas!!!)

Thanks. I want to redesign some of the tiles, which offend my CS and
math sensibilities and put unnecessary obstacles in our children's
way. Then we can have a challenge to see whether my tiles make it
practical to do more complex TA manipulations with less work.

I proposed separately making a TA tile set with icons rather than
names, but I don't know if anybody has picked up the idea. I proposed
a design, which just needs a graphic artist to make a new set of SVGs
for the tiles.
And Children are my nation.