[IAEP] [Grassroots-l] OLPC at change.org

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 17:29:40 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Kevin Cole <dc.loco at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 15:36, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are supposed to be 100,000 of us in the US, but the OLPC
>> resolution at change.org has received a pitiful 7 votes. If we don't
>> get ourselves on the national agenda, nobody else will do it for us.
>> Do you want your children and grandchildren to have XOs in school?
>> Then register and vote!
>>
>> http://www.change.org/ideas/search?category_id=25418&keyword=olpc&x=0&y=0
>
> Hi,
>
> FYI: As near as I can tell, although change.org is appears at first
> glance to be affiliated with Obama's site, they are NOT change.gov and
> I don't think they have any capacity to do anything on a national
> policy level beyond having the "audacity to hope" that their site will
> gain momentum.  That said, it didn't look like they were trying to
> scam anyone either.

Correct. They are not part of the direct Obama outreach effort.
However, since Obama has invited everybody to have house parties and
tell the transition team the results, this is well within the program.

http://change.gov/page/content/discussservice
Our policy teams will be sharing new developments with you, the
American people, and asking for feedback. It's up to you to respond.
Watch the latest video, and join the discussion below.

Question from the Transition Team
What social causes and service organizations are you a part of that
make a difference in your community?

They _will_ see the results of the voting at change.org and other such
sites. MoveOn.org has a similar initiative.
And Children are my nation.