[IAEP] Sunjammer status update

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Dec 22 05:54:20 EST 2008

Ciao,

the FSF admins have set up a vm for us on one of their existing
servers, and I've been working on setting up a few basic services over
the weekend.

This is not yet to be considered a production machine! There are no
proper backups, and the XEN image is likely to move on different
hardware within a couple of weeks.  Also, we haven't even paid
for it! :-)

Here's the current status:

 - I did a full sync of all the homes currently hosted on
   shell.sugarlabs.org, along with passwords and group memberships.
   The old accounts on trinity will still be available for a while,
   but I will not perform another sync unless esplicitly requested.

 - I also synced the upload directory, but the script to sync it
   with solarsail is of course turned off for now.  We'll switch
   it on when sunjammer transitions into production.

 - api.sugarlabs.org will follow shortly.  David Farning will
   probably keep maintaining it.

 - Tomeu installed addons.sugarlabs.org.  Wade Brainerd and Brian
   Jordan offered to help.

 - Admins: Tomeu is already in sudoers, but still does not know how
   to create accounts, etc. (I'm making it painfully complicated of
   course).  I will contact the others shortly and update the
   associated contacts page on the wiki.

 - we have enough backup storage on this machine to cover all of
   solarsail and all our VMs.  The OSL machines don't technically
   need it, but with backups it's better to err on the side of one
   too many than one too few ;-)

 - Apache is up, but mostly unconfigured. No user public_html, no
   SSL, no goodies. I will temporarily install a non-wildcard ssl
   certificate for www.sugarlabs.org.

 - Some filesystem reorganization is in order, along with adding
   user quota on /home.

 - A lot of other less important things.  See the list of services
   posted by dfarning for a high level idea of what else needs to
   be done.

My unauthorized christmas vacation means that part of this work will
have to wait a while, or rely on the goodwill of others to get done.

H4ppy Xm4z H4ck1n' 4 all u!

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/