[IAEP] Iconic Turtle Art

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 00:25:52 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 5:18 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> We could make it just be a language option. In fact, maybe we need a
> general option for Sugar where the language becomes iconic. As Gary
> suggests, not an easy design job, but at least for TurtleArt, easy
> enough to implement once we have the artwork (SVG, please).

Probably the easiest way to start is simply using the more pictorial
Chinese characters. ^_^

Here is a draft suggestion using Unicode characters. In some cases, I
use the shape of the tile to make distinctions that we can omit from
the icon. I am sure that you can improve on some of these.

Turtle art tile glyphs

Turtle	ok

clean	blank (tile shape is unique)
forward	↑
back		↓
left		↶
right		↷
arc		↺
setyx	↗
seth		⨁ or compasse rose
xcor		┕
ycor		┖
heading	⟴ or compass needle

pen		✍
pu		✑
pd		✒
set pensize	•●, knob? or just distinguish tiles for setting and using
value by shape?
set color	rainbow, knob?
set shade	brightness! (saturation) lightbulb, knob?
fill screen	bucket
pensize	 •●
color		rainbow
shade	lightbulb

Numbers
number	decimal Mayan numerals (shell glyph for zero)  .  ..  ...  ....
  ̲ ̲ ̲ ̲    ̲ ̲.̲ ̲ ̲   ̲ ̲.̲̲.̲ ̲   ̲.̲.̲.̲ ̲   ̲.̲.̲.̲.̲

+		+
-		-
×		×
÷		÷
mod		| (as in APL)
random	? (as in APL)
>		>
<		<
=		=
and		∧ (as in APL)
or		∨ (as in APL)
not		~ (as in APL)
print		⎙

Flow		River 川, plumbing?
wait		Railroad crossing gate
forever	⥁
repeat	⟳
if then		split arrow pointing to then and continue slots
if then else 	split arrow pointing to then and else slots
stop stack		red stop sign
-->	-->		(NOP) ok
|	|		(NOP) ok
|	|
v	v

My Blocks	mated blocks ok

stackn define	Identify with colored dots
stackn execute		Identify with colored dots
store in boxn	colored; put object into box ⎆
boxn			colored box ◇

I also note that we have no parentheses, which are a necessity with
infix notation. We should use prefix syntax in that case. Redo the
arithmetic and logic tiles to take two inputs and yield one output,
like the comparisons, but put one above the other so that they do not
overlap when using expressions rather than single numbers in slots.

There is no while loop. Why not?

> Going in the other direction, I have just about finished a
> view-as-UCB-Logo option for Turtle Art so that you can iopen your
> project in "real" Logo. TA as a stepping stone into Logo.
>
> -walter

Thank you.

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 8:12 AM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
>> On 19 Dec 2008, at 08:52, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>>
>>> I want to see if we can make a set of iconic Turtle Art tiles with no
>>> text. I have two ideas here. One is not having to localize tiles, and
>>> the other is teaching Turtle Art to preliterate pre-schoolers. I have
>>> an idea for possible icons for each, but almost no free time. Would
>>> anyone care to assist me?
>>
>> Fire away, no promises, but I am curious as to your possible icon
>> ideas - some tough concepts in there to cover just visually. I'm
>> assuming this would be an additional set of tiles (icon only)

We currently ship with folders of localized tiles. On Ubuntu, I have
en (English) and es (Spanish) in
/usr/share/activities/TurtleArt.activity/images/icons.

>> so you
>> could switch to the correct math text as you get older (ie the sets
>> Walter has been working on)?

Use correct math symbols wherever available. So + for +, × for ×.

>> --Gary
>>
>>> --
>>> Silent Thunder (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/
>>> دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) is my name
>>> And Children are my nation.
>>> The Cosmos is my dwelling place, The Truth my destination.
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai

> Walter Bender
> Sugar Labs
> http://www.sugarlabs.org