[IAEP] Sugar Labs or Sugar Daddy

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Wed Dec 17 13:22:10 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 6:30 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:25 AM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> One of the challenges that businesses face is keeping their expenses
>> below their revenues.  Your grandpa would have said, "Don't spend more
>> than you make."
>
> +1
>
>> I am convinced that the correct business model for Sugar Labs, will be
>> a combination of licensing the Sugar and Sugar Labs brands to partners
>> and donations.
>
> I am convinced that the Red Hat and IBM models are more relevant. We
> can accept contracts from governments, NGOs, or international aid
> agencies for customized versions of Sugar, including hiring or
> contracting with professional localizers and translators, and
> developing materials for whatever curriculum needs they feel most
> strongly. Earth Treasury will be making similar proposals to
> Ministries of Education for digital textbooks.

Please feel free to create a partner organization which is capable of
doing those functions.  Grandiose dreams don't do Sugar Labs much
good.  We need actionable items that we can work on tomorrow, next
week, next month, and next year.

> You can wait for the volunteers to do your subjects in your languages,
> or join the paid queue.

Funny, waiting for volunteers hasn't really work well for me.  I have
spent the the last six months doing the boring jobs on the project
while actively searching for smart passionate people to take on the
challenging and interesting projects.

I have noticed that whenever anyone on the project throws up a call
for help you never raise your hand.  On the other hand you are full of
suggestions for what other people should do.  We have talked about the
before.

As a result, I am adding your name to my spam filter until your work
to suggestion ratio increases.

Sincerly
david