[IAEP] Ncomputing

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Tue Dec 16 21:40:01 EST 2008

2008/12/16 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 15:18, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
>> LTSP deployments range in the millions worldwide, and are definitely a
>> necessary target for Sugar. Macedonia is just a small example of what
>> has been done elsewhere with terminals that are far cheaper than the
>> falsely advertised $100 laptops. In Brazil alone, there are millions
>> of computers running LTSP on top of k12linux or edubuntu. Sugar Labs
>> should be taking serious notice of thin client technology and adapting
>> the UI to work for it.

Here's one I'd love to facilitate happening. Sugar GUI is lovely,
discoverable and sweet.
It worked around one important constraint: small screen + reflective mode.
Having a gray/white monochrome environment seems pretty anachronic
when offering for a shiny new computer lab with crisp 17" LCD screens.
I'd like to turn sugar into candy:
http://www.olpcnews.com/software/operating_system/aquatic_sugar_childrens_interface.html

I wish I had more time to put into this, I think it would be killer.
Who knows maybe a quick hack will give us wallpaper.
Then perhaps some fg colours.
Then perhaps a panel tab to tweak it all (+contrast/brightness for wallpaper).

Who knows.

--
Sebastian Silva
Iniciativa FuenteLibre