[IAEP] Joining XOCamp (Was: XOCamp fundraising (and, please sign up to donate)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue Dec 16 08:26:04 EST 2008

Hi again,

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 08:02:22PM -0800, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 04:19:54PM -0600, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>>>It's getting to be time to buy tickets for XOCamp 2, which is in
>>>under a month now. Those of us who'd like to come from far away would
>>>love to know whether we can get some financial support for our
>>>journey.
>>
>> I am wondering: Do you guys think it would be relevant for me to
>> participate in this?
>>
>> I mean, I don't develop activities themselves and am not a
>> construcionism theorist. I "just" do packaging for Debian an
>> Debian-edu, and do what I can to unite the Sugar packaging efforts of
>> .deb based distros.
>>
>> I do not foubt that I am welcome. Question is more if you imagine
>> that it would be beneficial for the project - also as I would like to
>> request financial support for my travel costs (I live in Denmark).
>
>Your presence would be highly beneficial. We have been having serious
>packaging problems. I don't know how they differ between distros, but I
>feel the lack every day on Ubuntu.

Ok. I'll attend. :-)

Next challenge: As foreigner I need to state my place of residence
already when I book my flight. I want to keep this as low-cost as
possible so would much love if either a) I could lend a corner for my
sleeping bag privately at someone living in the area, or b) someone
could help recommend a hostel or similar low-end accomodation that is
nearby or easy to reach by public transportation.

Well, right now I don't really need a final commitment of letting me
into your house privately (we might not like each other when we meet in
person), just a verifiable nearby home address that I can use when
filling out my forms (I can't imagine it is illegal to change my mind
regarding residence after I arrive).

>> I can offer to stay longer in the area, before and/or after the
>> event, if anyone would find that beneficial.

Flights at Icelandair (with the added bonus of a stop-over with
refreshing trip to a hot bath) are cheapest from saturday 10th an
onwards. I plan to stay an additional week, and would be happy to engage
in local activities in the area - just get in touch with me if you see
my participation relevant somewhere until january 24th!

Looking forward to meet you all!

  - Jonas

- --