[IAEP] XOCamp fundraising (and, please sign up to donate)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 20:38:09 EST 2008

OK. It seems that Sugar Labs is willing to receive
donations<http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Donate>to the travel
fund. That would make such donations
*tax-deductible*. I also got a couple of +1's to my 50/50 disbursement plan:
half the money split equally, half of it split proportionally to remaining
direct travel expenses (ie, plane/bus/train tickets). I am also taking the
liberty of assuming that people can put up the money and then get reimbursed
at the event. If I'm wrong -- if there is anybody who cannot afford to buy a
ticket, but could with some help -- please respond to me *soon*.

There are currently $3150 of pledges and
donations<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XOcamp_2/Fundraising#Donations>on
OLPC's wiki. There are 6 requests for funds there, and one other that
know of (aa, that's you). Average travel cost is currently around $685.
Let's say that there will be 9 people receiving partial travel scholarships,
and that the average travel cost will stay about the same (aa's expensive
Uruguay flight and two cheap domestic ones). That would mean that the
average subsidy would be about $350, or $175 + 1/3 of remaining costs. I
suspect that these are relatively conservative assumptions, so you can
reasonably hope for more, but you should not, of course, absolutely rely on
even this much. This prospect is clear enough to make the difference for me;
I can't really afford full price, but hoping for this I will buy my ticket
soon.

I think that since Sugar Labs is willing to take tax-deductible
contributions for this, it should be relatively easy to fundraise another
couple of thousand dollars, which would leave participants paying at most a
small amount without too much risk of having money left over to refund to
people.* If anybody reading this is a regular contributor to OLPC news*,
that would be a good place for us to ask for money; if nobody steps forward,
I guess I'll do that next week. Also, fundraise with your organizations if
possible - any first-world organizations which care about sugar should be
able to add a few hundred to the pot.

Please, anybody making a donation for this purpose, note it on the wiki
(link above) with the words "donated to Sugarlabs". Otherwise, the donation
will just get lumped in with other sugarlabs donations.

Have I missed anything?

Jameson