[IAEP] Sugar for Service Learning

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 02:24:28 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_as_Service_Learning
>
> I've spoken to a number of people about creating an on ramp and eventually a
> marketing channel by having developed country students, with good computer
> and internet access, help our project by testing Sugar.  My particular angle
> on it is having them burn a Sugar on a Stick, but we should probably extend
> the vision to G1G1 people, and having people create emulations.
>
> This is basically a pointer to the starting page and a request for help in
> creating a set of pages that are rich resources for students who want to
> both help us, and learn about computer science, educational theory and
> education in developing countries.
>
> Please edit away! I will try to act as gardener, I think this is a big topic
> and it'll take some trys to figure out how to structure it logically.
>
> Any leaders out there for this concept?  Any teachers with High School
> students who want to be our first Alpha testers and creators of a service
> learning program?

Earth Treasury is starting a project to create digital textbooks and
teacher training materials. We will need subject-matter experts on
every current school topic, and on all of the new topics that the
XO+Sugar enables. For example, I would like to create a folder of
minimal TurteArt (sic) files exhibiting the principal concepts of
programming, and then files that use those concepts to do something
interesting. I then propose to put a narrative together inviting
students (including teachers) to discover how to do each of these
things, with optional hints, and then explaining the significance of
each discovery.

Currently I am without an XO, and the Journal doesn't work on Ubuntu,
so I am trying to set up a workaround using qemu. I'll send examples
as soon as I can.

The Tech Museum of Innovation in San Jose would like in principle to
be a test site, but we have to a bit of organizing first. I have to go
down there and discuss funding possibilities with them for a roomful
of XOs.

> Thanks,
> Caroline
>
> --