[IAEP] OLPC and Virtual Box

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 19:51:09 EST 2008

I was curious if we could get Sugar up and running on a school network. Bill
has documented the success that he has had with his class in South Australia
using Sugar on USB keys. As we were deploying a SunRay terminal system at
our college I thought to give this a try. Oddly enough, it uses Virtual Box
to deploy thin client images .. something that I noticed Sugar could be
configured to run inside. The Sun technicians have offered to help me out
with the implementation.

I had a chance to briefly practice setting up Sugar inside the Virtual Box
VM environment using the downloadable LiveCD ISO with Joel and Tony at the
VITTA conference in Melbourne. Whilst we proved that it could work, it still
need more work and testing. I am given to understand that we need a Jabber
server to get the virtual machines talking to each other.

Perhaps if somebody has had a go at updating the XO1 Virtual Box
instructions or even just upload an image for download, this could save us a
bit of time.
     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/VirtualBox

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au