[IAEP] USB based access in Australia

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sat Dec 13 14:56:09 EST 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Sebastian Silva
<sebastian at fuentelibre.org> wrote:
> 2008/12/11  <forster at ozonline.com.au>:
>> Con has done quite a lot of work promoting the use of open source software here and will be well known to many IT teachers. At least in the state of Victoria, the education department has done a bulk purchase of Microsoft software and software is then seen as effectively free at the school level in government schools. Even though the schools are free to chose what software they teach with, there is little driver to move them to open source.
>
> This is a battle that is happening all over the Globle. Microsoft
> needs to perpetuate its monopoly and has no scruples to dump their
> software into education, even giving free hardware (there is a promise
> for 1000 XOs with windows for Peru). This conduct must clearly be
> monitored coming from a convicted monopolist.

Please avoid going negative on IAEP.  While this discussion is valid,
Sugar Labs is based on hope and trust.  Hope and trust that we can
harness the community development model to create, deploy, and support
the _best_ learning platform.

Fighting for something is inspiring:)  Fight against something is exhausting:(

david