[IAEP] Ncomputing

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 10:07:56 EST 2008

I don't think that anyone at Sugar Labs is disputing the importance of
making Sugar work well in LTSP deployments. In fact, we have been
working with the Resara team on exactly that scenario. However, I
think it is important to note that there are many differences between
thin-client and laptop deployments. It is not clear that their is a
significant difference in the cost of the hardware itself--I have
never seen numbers to convince me one way or another. But in favor of
thin clients, maintaining a centralized control over the terminals
presumably makes the system maintenance easier while having a mobile
deice undoubtedly offers more flexibility in terms of how and where
computation can be used as part of a learning experience. But where as
Sugar is sitting on top of Linux and Linux supports both thin-client
and laptop deployments, we are not at odds here.

-walrer