[IAEP] USB based access in Australia

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Sat Dec 13 04:28:55 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 20:50 -0500, Caroline Meeks wrote:
> hi Donna and other Aussies,

Hey Caroline! :)

> Do you know the folks at Cybersource?
> http://www.cyber.com.au/press/government_laptop_best_value_solution.html

I do know Con quite well - and am long overdue for a catch up with him.
Thanks for pointing this out, it had completely slipped by my radar!

> Here is a good article on it:
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22209/53/

Oooh - Also good. Thank you.

> It looks like they are working on the idea I was calling School Key
> when we met in Indianapolis.

Yep - some years ago con contracted one of his developers to put
together LiveLAMP - a CD that allowed a teacher to easily install a
school server for student software development.  They've done some good
work in this space before.

It was also Con Zymaris who put together the original Free Software for
Schools catalog for OSV that Bryant revised last year (and he and I are
working on revising again: latest here
http://www.osv.org.au/index.cgi?tid=155 )

> They may also be interested in looking at Sugar on a Stick to provide
> better pedagogy for the younger grades and as a way to get in without
> the direct linux-windows conflict the comments on this article suggest
> they are facing.

Aaah ok - thanks - I shall follow through and read the comments, touch
base with Con, and report back to you lot. :)

> I already sent an email to their info address but an introduction is
> always nice.

Will do! (action: now)