[IAEP] Working math graphs/plots

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 20:53:01 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2008, at 00:24, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Reinier Heeres <reinier at heeres.eu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I agree that the plotting functionality is not really well exposed,
>>> although help(index) will show you it's available and help(plot) will
>>> tell you how to use it. Try plot(sin(x),x=0..360) for example. I'll work
>>> on the exposure of plotting in the next release; suggestions on how to
>>> do this exactly would be welcome.
>>
>> Just exposing help would go a long way to solving the problem.
>
> Help is already exposed in the hover menu for each toolbar icon. Not
> discoverable enough?

Absolutely not enough. I have to wait for the menu to expand _twice_.
How was I supposed to discover that?

> Seems Reinier' s Calculate has much more effort/detail
> put in than any other activity so far.

That doesn't mean that he got it right. I really, really hate delayed
hover menus, and I hate doubly-delayed hover menus many times more.
First, because they are inherently not discoverable, and secondly,
because you are wasting my time, and every other user's time. I reject
the argument that we are trying to teach children to click icons
directly, and note that it doesn't even apply in the case of help.

My general principle of UI design is, never, ever try to be smarter
than your user. Not even if you are. Now that I know that help is on
the menus on double delay, I will almost never use it that way,
because typing is faster, but I will resent it every time I have to
type it, because the menu could be faster.

And Children are my nation.