[IAEP] Ncomputing and freedom of the child

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 19:20:43 EST 2008

tech considerations aside part of the appeal (in india and elsewhere) would
be control, the computers stay in the labs, don't go home where students can
then surf for porn etc.

we are in the middle of a mandatory adult internet censorship battle in
australia - enormous resistance and the government seems to be losing,
thankfully

however, I know many adult educators who don't support mandatory adult
censorship but who nevertheless do advocate strongly that computers at home
should not be in kids bedrooms, they should be in the lounge so that adults
can constantly monitor their childrens surfing

Not a practice that I supported for my own child and which I think goes
counter to the UN Convention on the rights of the child:
*Article 13* 1. The child shall have the right to freedom of expression;
this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and
ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in
print, in the form of art, or through any other media of the child's choice.
http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/k2crc.htm

neverthless, although we are winning the adult censorship battle in
australia - thanks to great leadership by Electronic Frontiers Australia and
ISPs like internode who have refused to participate in the phony trial -
don't underestimate the argument of many adults who do not think that
children should have genuine ownership of a personal computer - and all the
benefits that brings - due to the alleged risks of surfing the internet
without close and constant supervision

even some australian child care organisations are now coming out and
opposing Conroy's digital counter revolution (play on Rudd governments
election promise of a digital revolution with faster broadband and a laptop
for every child years 9-12, still waiting and they won't be laptops)
http://www.theage.com.au/news/technology/childrens-welfare-groups-slam-net-filters/2008/11/28/1227491813497.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

if n-computing works then its advocates would argue:
1) cheaper
2) more control over what kids see

Not sure about the cost issue but on point (2) it looks like we are stuck
with having to argue that freedom for children is a good thing, well, lets
hope we can win that one :-) no point in taking the low road when the high
road is the only available option