[IAEP] Ncomputing

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Fri Dec 12 17:13:41 EST 2008

We had a similar thin client system in the computer lab of an education conference recently. At least 2 of the sessions could not run as planned because the workstations did not have the functionality of a normal PC. In my case I needed 32M of video memory.

The same criticism though could be made of any low cost system, there's lots of software you can't run on an OLPC.

Their claim "since Ncomputing uses only 1 watt of energy (compared to 110 watts for a PC), electricity usage is cut by more than 90%" ignores the power in the monitor, maybe 100W.

Similarly, the monitor cost may be similar to the cost of an OLPC. The OLPC and its competitors like the eee may be better value.