[IAEP] USB based access in Australia

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Thu Dec 11 20:50:39 EST 2008

hi Donna and other Aussies,

Do you know the folks at Cybersource?
http://www.cyber.com.au/press/government_laptop_best_value_solution.html

Here is a good article on it: http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22209/53/

It looks like they are working on the idea I was calling School Key when we
met in Indianapolis.

They may also be interested in looking at Sugar on a Stick to provide better
pedagogy for the younger grades and as a way to get in without the direct
linux-windows conflict the comments on this article suggest they are facing.

I already sent an email to their info address but an introduction is always
nice.

Thanks,
Caroline

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 6:41 PM, Donna Benjamin <donna at cc.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've long been a passionate advocate of the OLPC project, and followed
> with interest the development and creation of sugarlabs.
>
> As conference director for linux.conf.au in Melbourne earlier this year
> I oversaw the distribution of 100 XOs to delegates at the conference,
> and have recently tried to follow up with them to see how they're doing.
>
> Am also intending to continue working with XO owners, developers,
> teachers and learning researchers on community development, and project
> awareness in 2009.
>
> I'm particularly interested in cross-pollination between education
> and learning experts and developers to further the development of sugar
> as a platform for learning. I'm also keen to understand the cross-
> cultural issues encountered during deployments so we can adapt as
> necessary.
>
> I introduced the idea of building communities of practice to some people
> in the Aussie OLPC community, getting local groups of XO owners
> gathering with teachers and children to work together on testing,
> learning, discovering and documenting their experience.  Have already
> had a few informal gatherings with some of the developers who got an XO
> at LCA - intending on doing more of that too.  It would be brilliant to
> tap into the broader community to get a TODO list of tasks to accomplish
> and hack on.
>
> I think a handful of you already on the list will recognise me, as I've
> been drawn in on the odd conversation, so thought it was time to step
> aboard and say Hi Everyone!
>
> cheers
> Donna
>
> --
> Donna Benjamin - Executive Director
> Creative Contingencies - http://cc.com.au
> ph +61 3 9326 9985 - mob +61 418 310 414
> open source - facilitation - web services

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com

617-500-3488 - Office