[IAEP] Working math graphs/plots

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Wed Dec 10 16:38:01 EST 2008

Hi all,

<quote who="forster at ozonline.com.au">

> Sounds interesting.
>
> Sugar/OLPC really needs a spreadsheet. Spreadsheets are powerful learning tools which enable the manipulation and visualisation of data.

The Write activity has a spreadsheet. It is pretty usefull

> Why isn't the spreadsheet for Open Office included? Is it because its footprint is too big or because its not sugarised?

OpenOffice is way too big for this in terms of RAM utilisation.

> In addition to plotting, line, bar, pie and scatter it would be good to have at least some simple spreadsheet functionality:
> tabular data with row and column referencing
> import/export csv data
> formulae, cell references +-/*=
> simple functions sum() min() max() avg()

For age 6-12 the basics will certainly help. Check out what you can do with
the spreadsheet in the write activity.

Cheers,
Pia

--
OLPC Friends                                         http://olpcfriends.org/
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

                 "I dig your vibe." - Rove McManus to Ice T