[IAEP] Add Fedora logo to Sugar

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 05:19:57 EST 2008

Hi all,

2008/12/9 Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com>

> On 9 Dec 2008, at 04:05, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>
> > Just out of curiosity: that is a squirrel, not a possum, right? I
> > mean, it is a "rascally rodent", so it would have to be. What is its
> > name?

Phew, for once I can wear my other hat as a science teacher and not feel so
out of place on this list with all the super IT experts. It's name is *Petaurus
breviceps* :-D

> Frank (Frankie), yea he's a flying squirrel.
>
> > (It is amazing how hard it is to distinguish the sugar glider from a
> > flying squirrel, given that we are much closer genetically to a
> > squirrel than the sugar glider is.)

The Australian sugar glider is a marsupial. Some of you would be curious to
know that it has a pouch and is related to the kangaroo and koala, not the
mouse or squirrel.

> If we went for a similar level of quality render as to Frankie, the
> colour patterning (black ears, black/white face stripes, grey body
> rather than brown) and face details (pink nose, black eyes) should
> make a pretty distinct character design, but most people at best, will
> still just think it's a flying squirrel.

Markings are not a big deal .. room for lots of interpretation. All cool and
cute!

P.S. If there was a general desire to go 3d, I'd be willing to build,
> render and release the data, but I'd not want to burn the hours until
> there was some form of consensus on needing a mascot, and some
> examples of how/where it would be used to good effect. The Sugar UI
> style is symbolic/abstract, so a good design should leverage that
> Sugar art direction (i.e 3D realistic or cartoon styles are really too
> different to fit comfortably in my opinion).

I probably got this ball rolling, didnt want it to take up all your time
folks. It was just a thought after looking at the styling used for Firefox
and Thunderbird. I dread long meetings that rabbit on about the colour of
conference bags. Please don't let this stop or distract you all from the
bigger mission :-)

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au