[IAEP] Add Fedora logo to Sugar

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Dec 9 01:39:01 EST 2008

On 9 Dec 2008, at 04:05, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> Just out of curiosity: that is a squirrel, not a possum, right? I
> mean, it is a "rascally rodent", so it would have to be. What is its
> name?

Frank (Frankie), yea he's a flying squirrel.

> (It is amazing how hard it is to distinguish the sugar glider from a
> flying squirrel, given that we are much closer genetically to a
> squirrel than the sugar glider is.)

If we went for a similar level of quality render as to Frankie, the
colour patterning (black ears, black/white face stripes, grey body
rather than brown) and face details (pink nose, black eyes) should
make a pretty distinct character design, but most people at best, will
still just think it's a flying squirrel.

> Jameson

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. If there was a general desire to go 3d, I'd be willing to build,
render and release the data, but I'd not want to burn the hours until
there was some form of consensus on needing a mascot, and some
examples of how/where it would be used to good effect. The Sugar UI
style is symbolic/abstract, so a good design should leverage that
Sugar art direction (i.e 3D realistic or cartoon styles are really too
different to fit comfortably in my opinion).