[IAEP] Sugar on a Stick - Can we give it away at FUDCOM and at the DC event Walter is going to?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Dec 8 10:34:36 EST 2008

On 08.12.2008, at 13:32, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> Caroline Meeks wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think it would be cool to be able to give everyone SoaS USBs as
>> Conference
>> Swag at events where Sugar Labs is presenting.
>>
>> What do we need to do this?
>>
>> 1. A SoaS image we are proud of.  I think we are almost there.
>> 2. Lots of USB Sticks - Walter says he is making good progress on a
>> donor.
>> 3. A way to flash a hundred sticks in only an hour or two - Any
>> ideas?
>>
>> Do other people think this is a useful thing to aim for in January?

Sure.

I just gave it a test drive.

1. it booted without problems
2. dpi is wrong - text is much too small
3. 800x600 is too small - could not edit the collaboration server in
the control panel
4. xrandr works in Terminal to set a larger resolution
5. now can use network control panel
6. to enable new collab server Sugar restarts
7. get a login screen, no auto-login, have to press return
8. due to restart, screen res is back to 800x600, need to resize again
9. I see ppl in neighborhood :)
10. but they are cramped  into the upper left 800x600 portion of the
screen
12. Browse start page is empty
13. Download TamTamMini activity - downloading works
14. Run TamTamMini - depends on csound library, does not work
15. Download and run Speak activity - depends on numpy, does not work
16. notice a trend here, so install etoys and squeak rpms
     rpm -Uvh http://etoys.laptop.org/rpms/squeak-vm-latest.rpm
     rpm -Uvh http://etoys.laptop.org/rpms/etoys-latest.rpm
17. Download and run Etoys activity - works
18. go to squeakland.org in Browse
19. try example there - works unexpectedly (meaning that "olpc" is
still in the agent string)

So this points at a general problem with Sugar activity dependencies ...

>> What activities make the best impression and should be on the Stick?

Don't know about impressions but if I was asked, Etoys should be on
the Stick.

- Bert -