[IAEP] Sugar on a Stick - Can we give it away at FUDCOM and at the DC event Walter is going to?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 15:16:23 EST 2008

I solved most of my problems by allocating more storage (530 MB) when
creating my book stick. df -h now says I have 338 MB free on /.

So now it appears that my only complaints are about cursor keys and
alt-tab. Neither is a blocker, so go! I'll be demonstrating SoaS at
Program for the Future at the Tech Museum and Adobe in San Jose Monday
evening. Alan Kay, Doug Engelbart, and other luminaries will be there.

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 2:10 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Caroline Meeks
> <caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think it would be cool to be able to give everyone SoaS USBs as Conference
>> Swag at events where Sugar Labs is presenting.
>>
>> What do we need to do this?
>
>> 1. A SoaS image we are proud of.  I think we are almost there.
>
> 1. Fix bugs.
>
> o There is no free space in rootfs (mounted on /). This makes it
> difficult to do anything interesting. I can't install software or save
> work. I did say to allocate 128 MB free space when creating this
> bootable USB key. Where is it?

Fixed as above.

> o The Journal is constantly nattering that it is full. It puts wrong
> dates on entries, and then loses them (I suppose because it can't
> write them anywhere). It usually fails to appear on the frame.

Fixed as above.

> o Activities crash or fail to start, seemingly at random. (Maybe they
> can't find the Journal, either?)

Fixed as above.

> o The cursor keys don't work in Browse or Terminal.

Is there a keyboard command to repeat the previous command?

> o Ubuntu grabs Alt-Tabs, so I can't switch activities conveniently.
> Well, I can use the frame.

No change.

> o When I exited Sugar and rebooted from the stick, Gnome barely
> loaded, and was unusable. When I rebooted again, it failed to get past
> a command line.

I have only booted this one once. We'll see. If the problem before was
because of lack of storage, then we're good.

> 2. Write a short document on how to use it. These are some more things
> that took me too long to discover, or that I have not yet discovered.
> Apparently the new features are documented in the release notes, but
> not in the form a beginner is looking for.
>
> o Where is Sugar?! Applications/Other/Sugar Emulator. Put it on the toolbar.
>
> o How do I enable repositories?

sudo

> vi /etc/apt/sources.list, and
> uncomment some lines, but it doesn't do me any good without filesystem
> space.

I did that, and now I'm getting errors from apt-get

sudo apt-get install mc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  arj xpdf dbview
  mc
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 167 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/2135kB of archives.
After this operation, 6406kB of additional disk space will be used.
dpkg: syntax error: unknown group `Debian-exim' in statoverride file

> o How do I install xo-get, or indeed anything?  ??

OK

> o Is there a way to load saved sessions from elsewhere, even if I
> can't save anything on the stick?

OK

>> 2. Lots of USB Sticks - Walter says he is making good progress on a donor.
>> 3. A way to flash a hundred sticks in only an hour or two - Any ideas?
>
> I see services that will do this for you.
>
> 1G drives printed with your logo and preloaded with your data, $10.19
> http://www.stepthru.com.au/USBFlash.htm
>
> And here is an instance of the equipment, for making 21 copies at a time.
>
> http://www.aleratec.com/330104e.html
>
> ALERATEC 1:21 USB FLASH DRIVE COPY CRUISER USB FLASH DRIVE DUPLICATOR
> - Part #330104
> Part #  330104
> Price   $1,049.00
>
> ALERATEC 1:21 USB FLASH DRIVE COPY CRUISER FACTORY RECONDITIONED -
> PART # 330104E
> Part #  330104E
> Price   $499.00
>
> And some more.
>
> https://www.duplication.ca/shop/home.php?cat=61
> http://users.skynet.be/fa945585/NewFiles/usb tester.html
> http://www.kingsaudio.co.uk/products/-vconsole-60-port-usb-flash-drive-duplicator/377/
> http://www.cddimensions.com/products.asp?dept=208
>
>> Do other people think this is a useful thing to aim for in January?
>>
>> What activities make the best impression and should be on the Stick?
>
> Depends on the audience, and on whether we provide tutorials and
> explain how the Activities can be used in the classroom.
>
> o xo-get
> o TurteArt (sic)     with examples. So much math! So much programming,
>                             and no syntax errors!
> o Terminal            Gotta have the command line.
> o eToys                 Where it all began.
> o Pippy                 import antigravity! Uh, import SciPy?
> o Measure             Do you have any idea how much science you can do
>                             with a digital oscilloscope in both time
> and frequency
>                             domain?
>
> If users will be able to collaborate, then
>
> Write
> Paint
> TamTamJam
>
>> What else should we think about to make such a give-away effective?
>
> Branding on the stick and the lanyard.
>
> Tell them how to join the project.
>> --
>> Caroline Meeks