[IAEP] Sugar on a Stick - Can we give it away at FUDCOM and at the DC event Walter is going to?

Nate Ridderman nate.ridderman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 12:49:20 EST 2008

Caroline,

I think this is a great idea, given the low cost of flash drives, and the
improvements in SoaS. At the K12 Open Minds conference, there were lots of
people interested in Sugar LiveCDs after Walter gave his talk. People will
take flash drives regardless, but they will be much more effective at
marketing Sugar if the recipients have a basic understanding about Sugar and
want to play around with it themselves. If they get the drive in a swag bag,
a lot of the folks might just reformat it.

I haven't tried the Fedora Live USB yet, but I would recommend that over the
Ubuntu or LiveBackup variety for a FUDCON event ;-) If it is far technically
inferior (which I doubt) then it would be another story.

I don't think your third requirement is too hard. If you get a few people
with laptops and USB hubs, I bet you can whip out a hundred in an hour or
two. How many people are estimated to attend FUDCON?

If we can't find a donor, we could buy a hundred 1 gb drives for $200 or so.
I found this in five minutes of searching the web -
http://www.buy.com/prod/transcend-1gb-jetflash-v30-usb-2-0-flash-drive-1-gb-usb-transcend-1gb/q/loc/101/202760447.html

Of course, if this idea really takes off we could design a custom flash
drive with our new Sugar Glider logo, but it would cost more money. Donated
drives seems like the preferred solution.

Thanks,
Nate