[IAEP] Branding and mascot (Was: Re: Color combos for the logo)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Dec 5 11:36:02 EST 2008

On 5 Dec 2008, at 12:17, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> 3. Personally, I'd love a mascot too; kids like cuddly. My initial
> brainstorms:
>
> associated with sugar?
> Pollinators (nectar)
> Hummingbirds (too western-hemisphere)
> Bats (anything nocturnal is culturally dangerous, but I love 'em)
> Bees (good possibility)
> flies (yuck)
> ants (has good community associations)
> gingerbread man (cute, but a little too gendered and shrek-y)
> bears (too generic)
> sugarcane fieldworker (yeah, right)
>
> I just googled and OMG WE HAVE A WINNER as far as I am concerned.
> That is cute beyond words and it is called a "sugar glider". I'd
> never heard of that name even though my mom's Australian but it is
> beyond my wildest dreams.
>
> What do other people think?

Cute :-) But it needs to work as a 2 colour (+ alpha) icon at large
and small sizes all over the UI. The XO really is a very well chosen
design element... If we really can't keep it, well, my best thought so
far is to make something very similar/stylised, some other kid like
stick figure shape or perhaps face.

Needs a lot of thought.

--Gary