[IAEP] Branding and mascot (Was: Re: Color combos for the logo)

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 09:00:23 EST 2008

It would be great to bring further clarity to this... There is lots of
enthusiasm for the mark, the XO laptop, and Sugar. We should find a
way to best leverage it for all.

-walter

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Robert D. Fadel <fadel at laptop.org> wrote:

> [...]
> etc that is consistent with and demonstrates those partnerships.
>
> Robert
>

> "Walter Bender" <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> Sent by: iaep-bounces at lists.sugarlabs.org
>
> 12/05/08 07:40 AM

> "Jameson Quinn" <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>, "Tomeu Vizoso"
> <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>
> cc
> Christian Marc Schmidt <schmidt at pentagram.com>, iaep
> <iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org>, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>
> Subject
> Re: [IAEP] Branding and mascot (Was: Re: Color combos for the logo)
>

> It is very cute.
>
> Regarding the XO logo itself, in my experience in talking to people,
> it is very closely associated with Sugar, the interface, more so than
> the OLPC-XO hardware, which is seemingly more associated with the
> bunny ears and the handle. I was just speaking with a group interested
> in Sugar on other hardware and they were pretty insistent on keeping
> the XO icon on the homepage, even though I told them it was easily
> replaced.
>
> That said, OLPC owns that mark, so Sugar Labs cannot use it as a
> brand--they have asked us not to--but we can continue to use it in the
> interface itself.
>
> -walter
>
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I think that Sugarlabs can do better at branding in general. A good
>>> branding
>>> presence has related logos for the organization and for the product;
>>> color
>>> swatches, 4 or 5 at a time (not just 2-by-2; including greys, we have at
>>> most 3 at a time); a decorative font; and more workaday serif and
>>> sans-serif
>>> fonts chosen to go well with the decorative font.
>>>
>>> I'm not saying we need all of this tomorrow, but that should be the
>>> direction we're heading. Think, for instance, of the excellent branding
>>> of
>>> the Obama campaign, which AFAIK was completely available to the
>>> grassroots
>>> and nevertheless (in a totally content-free regard) kicked the pants off
>>> of
>>> McCain's more-centralized campaign.
>>>
>>> Immediate action items:
>>>
>>> 1. I really think the svg should be up in a public place, as well as
>>> (references for) the font (is that the ubuntu font, or other?).
>>>
>>> 2. We need a logo for sugar, as opposed to sugar labs and OLPC. The XO
>>> dude
>>> is inevitably going to have associations with OLPC which might turn off
>>> other hardware vendors. I guess the obvious option would be the "sugar"
>>> part
>>> of the sugarlabs logo.
>>>
>>> 3. Personally, I'd love a mascot too; kids like cuddly. My initial

>>> Hummingbirds (too western-hemisphere)
>>> Bats (anything nocturnal is culturally dangerous, but I love 'em)
>>> Bees (good possibility)
>>> flies (yuck)
>>> ants (has good community associations)
>>> gingerbread man (cute, but a little too gendered and shrek-y)
>>> bears (too generic)
>>> sugarcane fieldworker (yeah, right)
>>>
>>> I just googled and OMG WE HAVE A WINNER as far as I am concerned. That is
>>> cute beyond words and it is called a "sugar glider". I'd never heard of
>>> that
>>> name even though my mom's Australian but it is beyond my wildest dreams.
>>>
>>> What do other people think?
>>
>> Looks like we indeed have a winner, yeah ;)
>>
>> Tomeu

> Walter Bender
> Sugar Labs
> http://www.sugarlabs.org