[IAEP] "Getting Involved", first draft

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 18:23:25 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> The new getting involved page is nice but it doesn't really address the
> naive visitor's question of "I want to help, what should I do?"  It seems
> Sugar Labs Centric not volunteer Centric.
>
> Maybe supplement it with a "How can I help?" page -

+1

There have been suggestions for a Beginners' mailing list, where some
of the more experienced members would answer questions about getting
started, and direct people to the appropriate resources. Of course, we
do not want to create an area segregated from the real developers,
teachers, textbook authors, etc.

> Here are some quick
> thoughts.
>
> -----
>
> Teachers - Join the education or deployment team and help us apply Sugar to
> learning in your subject and/or geographical areas.  Try Sugar with your
> students.

Get together with other teachers and share lesson plans. Tell the
developers and textbook writers what you need.

> Middle and High School Students - Join the Testing team, learn how to use,
> test and if you want even develop Sugar.  Report bugs and help write
> documentation.

Our partners have many other projects that you can join. Earth
Treasury is organizing research projects to be carried out by students
under professional supervision, to map languages and dialects in your
country; health; agriculture; the environment; weather; and much more.
The resulting time-series map sequences will aid local, regional and
national development planning. We would like the populations of every
river basin to form cooperative projects along the lines of the Yukon
River Intertribal Resource Council in Canada and Alaska.
http://www.yritrc.org/. The Council is an international organization
including 63 Native American Tribes and First Nations, devoted to
cleaning up the Yukon River until it is safe to drink from again.

> Programmers - Join Development or start in Testing and gain familiarity with
> Sugar.  Write and Sugarize Activities!

You don't have to be an expert. We have tutorials, long lists of
desirable projects within the range of learners, and tasks ranging in
complexity from there to kernel mods. Ask us.

> Parents - Try Sugar with your kid.  Use your professional skills to help
> Sugar

Whatever you know, the children also need to know. You can help with
textbooks and content. Whatever creative skills you have are urgently
needed for content and for instruction.

> Marketing Experts - Help desperately need on our Marketing Team help us tell
> the world about Sugar.
>
> Graphic Artists - Help needed in Design and Marketing
>
> Writing Skills? - Be a Wiki Gardner, help write Marketing Material, help
> write documentation

and textbooks. FLOSS Manuals has a number of publications about the
XO, Sugar, and individual Sugar Activities. We are seeking contracts
for subject-matter textbooks.

> Translators - What languages do we especially need?

There are more than 80 language projects in Pootle. We need you to do
any language you are fluent in. There is particular urgency for
certain particular languages as they near deployment. In many
countries, there is a single language of instruction but a number of
local and minority languages. Spanish and Quechua, for example, or
English and half a dozen Ghanaian languages in a single school. The
need for local language support is not instant if the language of
instruction is supported, but it may nevertheless be desperate.

If you are willing to recruit translators in-country or over the
Internet, and manage their permissions on Pootle, we can use you as a
language administrator even for languages you know nothing about. It
is not at all hard to Google for bilingual language communities, such
as foreign students in the US, diaspora organizations, and so on. What
is hard is keeping up the search for months at a time with only a few
start a project, and make it more attractive for others to join.

> ---Other type of people/skills we want to list? Other tasks?  Did every team
> get mentioned?

We don't have a textbook and curriculum team.

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/GettingInvolved
>> >
>> > Here's what I did:
>> >
>> > 1. Linked to each team.
>> >
>> > 2. Made sure that the Mission statements were all cleaned up and
>> > consistent, and then included them in this page.
>> >
>> > 3. Added a sentence for each team explaining what the most pressing need
>> > is right now, and linked to the GettingInvolved page for each.
>> >
>> > I think it's a decent start.  All teams need to continue to do a good
>> > job
>> > of articulating work items that need to be done, and maintaining a good
>> > TODO list.
>> >
>> > Also, I think we need to add a new top-level link to the left nav --
>> > "Get
>> > Involved".

+1

>> > Having this page only available from the top of the first
>> > page
>> > is insufficient.
>>
>> done.
>>
>> > --g
>> >
>> > --
>> > Got an OLPC that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
>> >   [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]
>> >

>> --
>> Walter Bender
>> Sugar Labs