[IAEP] "Getting Involved", first draft

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Wed Dec 3 17:58:57 EST 2008

The new getting involved page is nice but it doesn't really address the
naive visitor's question of "I want to help, what should I do?"  It seems
Sugar Labs Centric not volunteer Centric.

Maybe supplement it with a "How can I help?" page - Here are some quick
thoughts.

-----

Teachers - Join the education or deployment team and help us apply Sugar to
learning in your subject and/or geographical areas.  Try Sugar with your
students.

Middle and High School Students - Join the Testing team, learn how to use,
test and if you want even develop Sugar.  Report bugs and help write
documentation.

Programmers - Join Development or start in Testing and gain familiarity with
Sugar.  Write and Sugarize Activities!

Parents - Try Sugar with your kid.  Use your professional skills to help
Sugar

Marketing Experts - Help desperately need on our Marketing Team help us tell
the world about Sugar.

Graphic Artists - Help needed in Design and Marketing

Writing Skills? - Be a Wiki Gardner, help write Marketing Material, help
write documentation

Translators - What languages do we especially need?

---Other type of people/skills we want to list? Other tasks?  Did every team
get mentioned?

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/GettingInvolved
> >
> > Here's what I did:
> >
> > 1. Linked to each team.
> >
> > 2. Made sure that the Mission statements were all cleaned up and
> > consistent, and then included them in this page.
> >
> > 3. Added a sentence for each team explaining what the most pressing need
> > is right now, and linked to the GettingInvolved page for each.
> >
> > I think it's a decent start.  All teams need to continue to do a good job
> > of articulating work items that need to be done, and maintaining a good
> > TODO list.
> >
> > Also, I think we need to add a new top-level link to the left nav -- "Get
> > Involved".  Having this page only available from the top of the first
> page
> > is insufficient.
>
> done.
>
> > --g
> >
> > --
> > Got an OLPC that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
> >   [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]

> Walter Bender
> Sugar Labs
> http://www.sugarlabs.org