[IAEP] Common Sugar distribution package contents.

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Dec 3 12:15:40 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 08:36:42AM -0800, C.W. Holeman II wrote:
>http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Application_Stack:
>
>    *  Library Collections (e.g., for the Browse Activity)
>    * Sugar Activities (Browse, Read, Write, Record Turtle Art)
>    * Sugar
>    * Operating System (Linux, MacOSX, MSWindows)
>    * Hardware Platform ( XO-1,   EEE PC, Classmate,  XO-2)
>
>Libraries are distributed in collections.
>Activities are distributed in bundles.
>Sugar is distributed in various kinds of packaging.
>
>The library collections and activity bundle formats for Sugar are
>in a format that is common across all OS/Hardware platforms.
>Sugar is distributed in formats that depend upon the
>OS/Hardware platform.
>
>The contents of activity bundle like Turtle Art or Browse is the same
>across all OS/Hardware platforms.
>
>The performance of Sugar on various OS/Hardware platforms varies. This
>should only be for issues that are dependent upon the underlying
>hardware and OS. It should not be the case for Sugar, Activities and
>libraries. There should be a common or core set of Activities and
>Library Collections that are in every Sugar distribution regardless of
>the kind of packaging the OS uses.
>
>There should be documentation on what the common or core Sugar must
>always contain. The packagers need this information. There may be
>additional optional packages also defined that are intended to work on
>all systems.
>
>This is needed to promote Sugar as a friendly environment for outsiders
>to become insiders.

Suggestion: Encourage, but do not mandate, distributions to follow the
Glucose/Fructose grouping of packages as documented at
http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Source_Code and ecourage (not
mandate) releasing one of the following (prioritized - first is best):

   1) All branches (0.81, 0.82 and 0.83 currently)
   2) All stable branches (0.82 currently)
   3) Only latest stable branch (0.82 currently)

This is releated to the recent discussion on whether Sugarlabs would
rather that Debian-edu) rip out and avoid Sugar from its next release
than release with software not matching latest stable branch.

Must all parts of Glucose/Fructose be included in a distribution?

Must all parts of Glucose/Fructose be installed together?

Must all parts of Glucose/Fructose be no older than official release?

Must all parts of Glucose/Fructose be no newer than official release?

What if a distribution does not obey your wish? Do you want to protect
your name like Mozilla does (leading to Debian renaming its web browser
to "Iceweasel" to be allowed to independently apply security patches)?
Or do you perhaps want to only protect your own official binary releases
like Squeak?

  - Jonas

- --