[IAEP] Fwd: Developer gathering in Trondheim, Norway - January 2009

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Dec 3 08:58:39 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 01:38:48PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
>On Wednesday 03 December 2008 12:33, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> I could attend if there was interest in having a Sugar hacker there.
>> Do you have any plans that include Sugar somehow?
>
>We have a sugar-desktop profile which in theory allows to install a
>sugar desktop. (In practice its broken, because sugar in Debian is
>broken.)

Agreed: The packaging(!) of Sugar for Debian (which is used as-is by the
derived distribution debian-edu) needs more work. In other words more
hacking on Debian packaging (as opposed to hacking on Sugar itself).

Debian packaging hacking does not require Debian membership - all
interested can help. It needs little Python skills, more skills/interest
in how Debian packages are built and how Debian(-based) systems are
organized.

[Details on Sugar option in debian-edu expert-mode install snippet]

>So your, or any other sugar developers, attendency would certainly be
>welcome.

Any and all improvements to Sugar is of course always great, for
debian-edu and for all other distributors and users of Sugar.

It seems to me, however, that as hacking Sugar won't solve current
problems of Sugar not working with debian-edu, it is a bad reason for
Sugar developers to join the debian-edu meeting.

If Sugar developers want to better understand the Debian(-edu) world and
how the two different worlds might generally be made to fit better
together AND someone from debian-edu who is joining that same meeting
has similar interests in tuning into the Sugar world, then that's an
great reason to join IMHO.

Another good reason, even if no debian-edu developers joining the
meeting are tuned into Sugar ahead, would be to promote awareness of
Sugar.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

Debian developer, packaging Sugar officially for Debian (which is used
by debian-edu, Ubuntu and other Debian-derived distributions too)

- --