[IAEP] Running local Sugar workshops

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Tue Dec 2 13:37:42 EST 2008

Copying IAEP, slides for context are at
http://www.slideshare.net/emmajane/form-an-orderly-queue-ladies (resend,
since link > massive attachment. Sorry about that.)

Oh, I don't agree with all of it either, but it sure makes for an
interesting discussion. :) Mostly I wanted to point out slide 138 and
the bunch following - more than anything else, the slide deck made me
think "hm, we should run workshops." (Not a "gender thing," but as
another way to reach people we might not be reaching now.)

--Mel
(who happens to be female, and who also happens to like brie and be
wearing a yellow shirt right now. I consider them all about equally
relevant.)

Caroline Meeks wrote:
 > Hi Mel,
 >
 > This was a really interesting Slide show.  A bunch of it is not my
style.  I like geeks, I am one,  and I think most of the open source
programmers I know are sweet wonderful men.
 > I am passionate about getting more women into open source and into
programming. I think we should be talking about this issue as a part of
our shared vision for Sugar and the children of the world and as
something that everyone in the Sugar community, male or female, agrees
with.  This project is about equity and opportunity for all.

 > I agree with her reasoning about end user workshops being an
important tool for recruiting women.  Scratch did amazingly well with
their workshop last summer.  I wonder if they have any numbers on
male-female ratio.

 > We should definitely do one.  They are pretty challenging to put
together, and although we should be able to charge and not lose money,
they can be financially risky and require money up front.

 > If you are comfortable with it I think you should forward this to
IAEP and get the whole group thinking about it.