[IAEP] Honeypot

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Dec 1 17:45:20 EST 2008

Ciao,

here's an update on the current status of the 2nd server:

 ☞ We've been planning for a long time to acquire a new server
   to be used for developer shell accounts, git repositories
   and other services;

 ☞ We've been blocked on offers of free harware from several
   different parties, that did not materialize in practice;

 ☞ During Saturday's infrastructure meeting at Sugarcamp,
   we decided to go on and buy a new machine with donations
   of individuals;

 ☞ Donations: the same day we raised $1600 among the people
   present.  We still need to raise some $400-500, but I'm
   confident enough to anticipate the expense personally.
   We are waiting for the SFC to tell us what bank account
   we can use;

 ☞ Hardware: I'm oriented towards an HP ProLiant DL180 G5.
   It's a 2U with 8 3.5" SATA/SAS bays and quad core Xeon.
   All for $1200 + memory + disks.  To save on costs, we'll
   get 2x1TB 7200RPM SATA drives and only 2 or 4GB of RAM;

 ☞ Hosting: I asked Media Lab, OSU/OSL, Novell and the FSF
   for rack space and bandwidth in a stable environment.
   We need physical access to the machine room and friendly
   local sysadmins who can promise to help us in case of any
   trouble;

 ☞ Gitorious: we decided to use http://www.gitorious.org/
   to easily scale to a large number of repositories and users.
   I've set it up this week-end on my development machine and
   it seems to run nicely;

 ☞ I'm setting up KVM virtual machines for Gitorious and for
   shells.  If the performance seems acceptable, the physical
   machine will only host VMs for improved security and
   manageability;

 ☞  Any suggestions/help appreciated, except if it would
    delay much more the plan.  We have been waiting way too
    long for such a small thing, and I'd like to place the
    order this week if possible;

 ☞ You might be wondering why such a subject... well,
   honeypot.sugarlabs.org is the domain name I expect to
   use for this machine unless someone comes up with a
   better idea :-)

--
   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
 \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/