[IAEP] Fwd: [Edu-sig] Python for Teachers approved, woo hoo

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 15:05:30 EST 2008

Who wants to join in?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com>
Date: 2008/12/1
Subject: [Edu-sig] Python for Teachers approved, woo hoo
To: "edu-sig at python.org" <edu-sig at python.org>

So I just learned we've gotten a green light for Python for Teachers already.

I've started circulating promotional materials already:

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=1863073&tstart=0

Kirby

PS:  anyone have one of these Acers?  Good deal?  Ubuntu even?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/3070254912/
(might recommend to students, then there's the HP for $100
more -- same Photostream).

Python for Teachers
  	Click to see the message monospaced in plain text 	Plain Text
	Click to reply to this topic 	Reply

So our Python for Teachers was approved for Pycon next
year, a three hour workshop.

The idea is slightly confusing in that we're suggesting
private sector trainers might use this "other tomorrow"
approach of assuming a defacto Python Nation wherein we
do things a little differently, in terms of how we educate
our young and so on. That gives us an excuse to have
some fun with the motif, somewhat Wild West, while
pretending to be in say 9th grade again, learning about
functions, sets, Venn Diagrams -- except we've added SQL.

The curriculum moves on through vectors in VPython, and
who can deny that computer animation is an important
business, even in tough economic times?

I'm bringing to my Chicago audience a taste of how we do
it in Portland, am heading into teaching just such a
course (the math behind movie making) upon my return,
under the auspices of Saturday Academy.

There'll be more info on the Pycon website and elsewhere,
in case you're thinking about coming. It's not a given
that everyone there knows much Python, although some
background in programming really helps. We have a small
contingent of actual classroom teachers usually, though
most of us are from private companies like Google.

Kirby Urner
4Dsolutions.net

Resources:
http://showmedo.com/videos/series?name=JkD78HdCD