[IAEP] UTF-8 Stars (was Re: Sugar Labs school server)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 14:36:10 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you can't see those characters correctly, check whether your mailer
> supports UTF-8, and if necessary, turn it on. Also check whether you
> have a good selection of Unicode fonts installed.

But don't set it to on by default on newly composed emails. Many
mailservers refuse to forward - and in some case will not even bounce
- utf-8 emails. It's wrong, but it is.

vger.kernel.org is one of them and I suffered a season of "why didn't
my email make it to the list?" headscratchers.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions