No subject

Sat Aug 30 19:52:57 EDT 2008

There has been some discussion in the Scratch Team about this. Overall our
concern is to avoid forks. In general forks are good because bring diversity
but since Scratch is a tool for beginners we're worried about having
multiple versions out there. This happened a little bit with Scratch's
predecessor LOGO, there were a lot of versions, some of them incompatible.

I am an Ubuntu user and I appreciate the choices I have for every element of
the OS, but I do spend hours trying to figure out between apt-get and
aptitute, Compiz vs no compiz, KDE vs Gnome vs Xfce, etc, etc. In some ways,
Ubuntu has been able to succeed by providing something that works out of the
box without forcing users to choose.

I think we are going to change the license of the binary distribution to
allow for commercial use but we're uncertain about the source. What do you
think about forking in Scratch?

------=_Part_22162_33299476.1226709916256

our concern is to avoid forks. In general forks are good because bring
diversity but since Scratch is a tool for beginners we&#39;re worried about
having multiple versions out there. This happened a little bit with
Scratch&#39;s predecessor LOGO, there were a lot of versions, some of them
incompatible.<br><br>I am an Ubuntu user and I appreciate the choices I
have for every element of the OS, but I do spend hours trying to figure
out between apt-get and aptitute, Compiz vs no compiz, KDE vs Gnome vs
Xfce, etc, etc. In some ways, Ubuntu has been able to succeed by
providing something that works out of the box without forcing users to
choose. <br><br>I think we are going to change the license of the
binary distribution to allow for commercial use but we&#39;re uncertain

------=_Part_22162_33299476.1226709916256--