[IAEP] Live CD collaboration problem

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 15:31:10 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 18:18, Joel Stanley
<joel.stanley at adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> Hello Morgan,
>
> 2008/8/25 Morgan Collett <morgan.collett at gmail.com>:
>> To enable a log file in presenceservice.log, see if you have a
>> .xsession or .xsession-example in /home/olpc. Copy .xsession-example
>> to .xsession if necessary, and uncomment the lines with
>> PRESENCESERVICE_DEBUG=1 and SUGAR_LOGGER_LEVEL=debug - then restart X
>> (or the machine).
>
> Thanks for the detailed reply. I haven't had the chance to go back out to
> the school, but with some over the phone tech support Bill has collected
> some logs for you to look at.
>
> I don't have any details on the testing conditions, so if you have any
> enquiries please ask Bill. He is cc'd.
>
> The logs are at http://dev.laptop.org/~joel/bill-sugar-logs/

Thanks for the logs. presenceservice.log shows that salut
(LinkLocalPlugin) starts up successfully but doesn't detect anyone on
the local network. gabble (ServerPlugin) repeatedly attempts to
connect to a jabber server but fails - nevertheless salut is running.

Bill, can you surf the web with Browse?

Please also try this diagnostic command in Terminal: "avahi-browse -t
_presence._tcp" - that should use the underlying system (avahi) that
salut is built on, to show if there are other instances that it would
be able to detect. You should see one or more "iChat Presence" records
shown. If you only see one, that's yourself and for some reason you
can't reach the other machines. If you see more than one, then let me
know because there's a salut problem if you don't also see them in
mesh view.

I'll try to pull down the livecd image and check myself.

Regards
Morgan