[IAEP] [Edu-sig] after-school python, age 11+

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 01:44:16 EDT 2008

You guys and kids are all so great. How would some of you like to
speak and do demos at a future PyCon? Next year will be in Chicago,
and for the year after that I am heading the bid to get it in the San
Francisco Bay Area. The other possibilities are Atlanta and Cleveland.
If you are interested, I can introduce you all to the PyCon staff and
to the OLPC Grassroots list, and we can organize something for lots of
children all over the world. There are a lot of other conferences that
should see your work up close. Software, hardware, education, economic
development...

Also, how would you and your publishers like to have classroom-tested
Spanish and other translations of your books?

2008/8/21 Warren Sande <warren.sande at rogers.com>:
> Jeremy,
>
> I was at the same point a couple years ago, and reached the same
> conclusion.  Long story short, the end result is  "Hello World!  Computer
> Programming for Kids and Other Beginners"  which I wrote with my son.  It
> will be released in a few weeks.  Some edu-sig folks were involved in the
> review process (Thanks, all!)
>
> You can see the publisher's page here: http://www.manning.com/sande/.
>
> You can pre-order it on Amazon here.
>
> It uses Python (and Pygame and PythonCard).  Some examples are games, but
> many more are not.  It takes a fairly traditional approach to teaching
> beginning programming.  I think the presentation, writing style,
> illustrations, and examples make it suitable for kids 10 and up.  Several
> adults who reviewed it said they would use it, too, which I was really happy
> to hear.  We absolutely tried to avoid "talking down" to the reader, while
> also trying to make it fun.
>

> Regards,
> Warren Sande

Silent Thunder [ 默雷 / शब्दगर्ज ] is my name,
And Children are my nation.
The Cosmos is my dwelling place,
And Truth my destination.