[IAEP] K12 Open Minds Reminder

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 01:21:04 EDT 2008

I can't attend, but I can talk to you about what messages we can give
to the attendees. What part of XO, Sugar, or any other aspect of the
project are you thinking of presenting, and what to you want to convey
about it?

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:22 AM, Nate Ridderman
<nate.ridderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone submitted a speaking proposal for this conference? I haven't seen
> any responses on the list, and it would be a shame if Sugar Labs and OLPC
> weren't represented, given how relevant they are to the theme of the
> conference.
>
> Therefore, I would be willing to put together a proposal if no one else is
> interested in speaking. I feel a bit under-qualified since my involvement
> has been limited to reading email lists, a small amount of wiki editing, and
> testing on my G1G1 XO. But I do have a pretty good understanding of the
> software stack, and I can pull information from the wiki and community
> members about the educational side of things, including feedback from the
> deployments to date. It should be fairly easy to put together an overview
> presentation, and if no one else is able or willing to speak at the
> conference, then I'll submit a proposal. If anyone wants to help prepare a
> speech, but can't attend, I'm very open to collaborating. At the least, I
> would allow the community to review the speech before I gave it.
>
> I live in Indianapolis, so travel isn't an issue for me. I'm going to attend
> whether or not I submit a speaking proposal.
>
> If someone else would like to speak, by all means go for it. But if I don't
> hear anything by mid-day tomorrow EST, I'll submit a proposal.
>
> Thanks,
> Nate Ridderman
>
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Vern Ceder <vceder at canterburyschool.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry about the fragment in my previous post - it's supposed to say "See
>> the "hotels" link on the web site"
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Vern
>>
>> This is just a quick reminder that the K12 Open Minds conference is
>> approaching. See http://www.k12openminds.org for more details - this is
>> one of the few conferences devoted to Free and Open Source Software in
>> K-12 education, so if that's an area of interest please come and
>> consider presenting.
>>
>> There are two updates worth mentioning. First, the deadline for rooms at
>> the conference rate of $97 a night is August 25. After that, the room
>> rate will increase dramatically. So if you are planning to attend,
>> booking a room now would be a good idea (see the "Hotels link on the web
>> site).
>>
>> Second, we have extended the deadline for speaking proposals to Friday,
>> August 22, so please consider submitting a talk. While all proposals are
>> welcome, talks focussed on FOSS at the classroom level, either teaching
>> or technical, would be welcomed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Vern Ceder
>> --
>> This time for sure!
>>    -Bullwinkle J. Moose
>> Vern Ceder, Director of Technology
>> Canterbury School, 3210 Smith Road, Ft Wayne, IN 46804
> [...]

Silent Thunder [ 默雷 / शब्दगर्ज ] is my name,
And Children are my nation.
The Cosmos is my dwelling place,
And Truth my destination.