[IAEP] Sugar Labs mission statement.

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 22:05:22 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 6:45 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> As we go forward with Sugar Labs, it is important that we clearly define
> our mission and goals.  Going through the mailing list archives I have
> come up with the following Mission Statement:
>
> Sugar Labs is an open source community, whose projects are focused on
> building an educational platform based on the principles of
> collaboration, reflection, discovery.  Sugar Labs is a not-for-profit,
> member supported corporation that helps cultivate both an open source
> community and an ecosystem of complementary products and services.

Not bad. We will have to make it explicit if we also want to take
corporate and foundation donations, sell products, or anything else in
that line. I recommend at least shirts and coffee mugs.

What do you think the ecosystem will consist of, and how do you want
to work with it?

I am thinking of organizations (including microfinance institutions)
for providing the electricity and Internet bandwidth to make XOs work
in villages, for  redesigning curricular and textbooks around the new
hardware and software capabilities for collaborative discovery and so
on, and for preparing the way for economic growth. For that it appears
to me that we or somebody must focus on getting children into
communication around the world in sufficient safety, and teaching them
how to go into business together.

--
Silent Thunder [ 默雷 / शब्दगर्ज ] is my name,
And Children are my nation.