[IAEP] Concise explanation of Constructionism from the LearningTeam

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sat Aug 16 20:55:15 EDT 2008

Albert to be fair constructionism as a term does not have much currency
here- and few associations, good or bad ... I was just disagreeing that
it stands for a failed experimental or idealistic approach

I'm not sure that I like it as a word, since, as you know, teachers can
be suspicious of nebulous terms; just as 'pedagogy' has more currency
among those who talk about teaching, than those who teach

Agree constructionism seems poorly defined, at least in these debates;
trying to stand for too many approaches, I think

But related philosophies - applied learning, project based learning, are
certainly in the wind

And the debates around these have led me (and our local planning groups)
to a middle position- a mix of individual enquiry and explicit
instruction

I wonder if our approaches are informed by different experiences

>Then, during some other research,
> I stumbled upon the horror of constructionism as practiced
> and I found the evidence that constructionists would suppress.
> It's time to get the word out: constructionism hurts children.

That's a pretty strong statement

I've seen the opposite- very disadvantaged kids getting much higher than
'expected' (by demographic) scores on state exams, in schools that have
made this sort of approach work, with rigorous checks and balances to
ensure the material is challenging, aligned with state curriculum etc -
had a good look at some of these schools and some of them are doing much
better than schools attempting traditional methods with similar
clientele

But its hard to do, and easy to fail, so maybe that's what you've seen

I met the author of that paper (working in one of these schools), and my
main reservation about its transfer to Aus, was that his Israeli kids
seemed much more wired for intellectual argument than many of our
students...ie some of the approaches would seem to work better for more
able kids

Don't know what your comments about abusive nuns have to do with
anything...

My own personal motif for these approaches is actually discovering that
integral calculus made a lot more sense to me when I could program a
numerical model, in my own schooling... [the 1985 year 12 maths course
had a optional exploratory programming unit, mixed in with a lot of
traditional approaches preparing one for the usual 3 hour exam] no nuns
or rulers in sight

I know that regular education has been more creative than simple recall-
but I would say that traditional approaches -particularly to assessment
- have still emphasised that - memorising last years paper, and the
various problem types, is still a strong method for passing,
irrespective of real depth of understanding - and its hard to escape
that, on  a large scale

You might find straw men, but I do think that while mass education is
only 150 years old, many of the assumptions underpinning it are already
proving flawed (an industrial mass production metaphor underpins much of
it, bells segment the time in disconnected blocks etc - and I've heard
you lament the fact that kids tend to get pushed through a standard
curriculum, irrespective of performance- and I would also say of
interest-  etc)

http://www.learningtolearn.sa.edu.au/Colleagues/files/links/Teaching_and