[IAEP] Concise explanation of Constructionism from the LearningTeam

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 07:55:23 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Costello, Rob R <
Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au> wrote:

>  Bill I agree that its risky to simplify down; and thumbnail definitions
> do oversimplify
>

> But I also think it must be possible/necessary, at some level, to do so
>

> Always having to say 'no, its more subtle or sophisticated than that' can
> risk appearing as if there is no definite content or position
>

> A simple version of any philosophy can be useful for several reasons, - eg
> an 'advance organiser' that gives a grid for the general thinking involved
>

> 'we can't give a simple version' seems a bit elusive to me

hi rob,

I've been thinking about a thumbnail definition but when I write it down it
keeps growing.

It's a very interesting word. One issue I think is that the constructivism
word flirts with idealism in breaking with behaviourism and in this respect
the issue is unfinished - because we don't actually know how the mind works
and the issue of representation remains controversial, although it is part
of constructivism

But here is my effort, but  more its more like 4 or more fingernails than a
thumbnail:

internal, meta, interactive, scaffolding, mentored bit - mental modelling,
self and others: Constructionist students and teachers create mental models
of their own and others knowledge state

external, social and personal bit - Learning by socially and personally
meaningful doing or construction

technology, education environment bit - Some tools are better than others
for learning (more appropriable, evocative and integrated)

philosophical, dangerous bit - Since we don't know how the mind works with
any certainty then constructionists will inevitably flirt with idealism, the
idea that all knowledge is subjective and idiosyncratic, that there is no
such thing as objectivity - the need to stay grounded and to keep doing a
theory to practice spiral

another point not included is that we need to be concrete and give examples
of real learning when talking about it - which I haven't done here

I wouldn't like to take out the philosophical, dangerous bit because that
would create the risk of too much blindfolded walking or something like that
- I think it's better if the word is associated with some risk rather than
blandness and the thumbnail definitions tend to gravitate towards blandness
through simplification, imply that this is a known known. That has been my
main general point on this list, that the definitions I have seen are
incomplete and too bland and potentially mundane, eg. learning by doing

I can't operate as a constructionist without all these bits

Some more background information about this:

the constructivist word is not prominent in either Mindstorms (Paperts
original, not mentioned) or Margaret Boden's biography of Piaget (only
mentioned twice)

I think what Piaget did was treat young children as self directed learners
through play etc. not as empty vessels to be filled by adults

the term "genetic epistemology" is more associated with Piaget - the
evolution of knowledge structures in the young learner - it seems to mean
the same thing for Piaget as constructivism

so the term did not originate with him probably but he might have been the
first to investigate it as a concept in children learning seriously and
consistently

other theorist saw the learning ability as innate but needed time to unfold
- some still argue this, I think Chomsky (and Pinker) argues that for
language development that we are preprogrammed genetically in "mentalese", a
universal grammar

also the idea of mental representation (cog stuctures) is attacked by the
connectionists who think it can all be done with patterns - Downes also
argues this

So Piaget, Papert, Minsky's position that humans gradually develop learning
structures or representations over some years in childhood is still
controversial - constructivism

this concept has been altered by social constructivists but also by others -
constructivist idealists (radical constructivists) like Ernst von
Glasersfeld <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_von_Glasersfeld>

post modernists who deny objective truth sometimes identify with
constructivism

Boden makes the point that all constructivists flirt with idealism but they
don't have to capitulate to it (pp. 79-80)

(ie to move on from Skinner you have to speculate about things that can't be
proven at least a little)

wikipedia identifies Giambattista Vico or Giovanni Battista Vico (1668-1744)
as the first constructivist ("truth itself is constructed") - also Kant and
Dewey preceded Piaget
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructivism_(learning_theory)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructivism_%28learning_theory%29>

cheers

--