[IAEP] [Fwd: 0.84 goals]

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 14:47:49 EDT 2008

I've got a few additions...

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I started working on the goals for 0.84 in the wiki:
>
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/ReleaseTeam/Roadmap/0.84#Goals
>
> Here is what I have so far.
>
> * Next generation journal
> * File sharing
> * Collaboration scalability
> * Responsive UI
> * Stable activities API
> * Official Sugar LiveCD
> * Compatibility with desktop applications
> * Quality and reliability

* Groups support
* Notification system
* Better Naming/Tagging
* New activity toolbars

Groups is a highly requested feature from many of our deployments, and
something that has been an integral part of the design since the
beginning (it has its own view!).  I think we finally have the chance
to add it properly.  This will go hand in hand with fixing some other
details, such as the mechanism by which activities get shared and
invites appear, the need for an activity to be started *in* a shared
scope, and a better Groups view.

The notification system was started already, but a fair amount of work
needs to be put into it before we can really take advantage of it.  We
also need to figure out if we can open this system up to activities
with a nice API.  We might also want to wait for compositing support
to turn there on... (There is a standard we can follow for this
system, btw.  We just need to figure out how to extend it if needed
and put it together.)

The naming and tagging suggestion regards prompting for names/tags
when saving, to ensure more meaningful names and make searching the
Journal easier.  It's a small one, really, but it slipped by this
time.

The final one is kind of a dream, but I think there are a lot of
benefits to the new toolbar designs, and many fewer cons.  It's gotten
good feedback so far, from the team and developers alike.  It's a big
change, which will require a new activity API.  We would likely want
to deprecate the old toolbox and then pull it out in another year or
so.  In any case, I think we should at least determine if we want
this, and if so add it sooner than later so that there are fewer
activities developed which later need to be changed.
(wiki.laptop.org/go/Designs/Toolbars)

- Eben

(This is highly requested in deployments; I have designs to post to
the wiki soon!)