[IAEP] [Fwd: 0.84 goals]

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Fri Aug 15 07:14:38 EDT 2008

Hi

I note that, following the link, Trac #6128 says:
“There has been much discussion about how to achieve grouping in the journal, and whether to move towards a hierarchical structure, like directories and subdirectories on a normal file system. In the current design, tags are intended to be the organizational tool, instead of directory tree-structures. “

Is this the right place to continue this discussion?

I remain unconvinced that a journal, even with enhanced tagging and searching, is the best solution. While making things easier for novice users, (the "low entry"), it takes away the "high ceiling" that a hierarchical structure can give the non-novice user.

I have found the concealment of the underlying directory structure from the user quite frustrating when working with email attachments. The journal rapidly fills with rubbish, I could not turn off the autosave. The journal is OK but should it be the only tool available to the user? Isn't the best file system the one which most empowers the user?

Tony