[IAEP] SOMs and Constructionism

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Aug 11 13:54:52 EDT 2008

Hi Teemu,

I was just having a run though and uploading SOM maps for some of the
papers posted on both laptop.org and sugarlabs.org pages*** While I
was at it I decide to add in your paper and generate a new SOM image
for it. I've been tweaking and fine tuning my code and word metric
extraction filters since I started making SOMs for the mail lists, so
this map is looking a lot cleaner/clearer than the one I sent you way
back in May:

	http://sugarlabs.org/go/Community/SOM#SOM_Related_Research_Papers

Feel free to edit the page if needed (incase I didn't cite correctly
or something, I'm not in academia so don't know all the etiquette).
Would be happy to cite some additional SOM related papers here (and
generate SOMs for them) if you can suggest a few particularly salient
ones.

***I added links to the various wiki pages with SOMs + papers on my
sugarlabs user page http://sugarlabs.org/go/User:Garycmartin – if
you're looking for them – just to keep track.

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. I'm a little further on with generating SOMs based on separate
text documents (the more common usage so I've read). The plan still
being to point it at the wiki (or some sub-section initially), and
have the SOM generate a content map with click-able links to the
pages. The big problem I find with active wikis is how quickly they
become a complex ball of tangled string - I'm hoping that generating a
reasonably upto-date, top level, content page map is going to help. If
that seems to work, I'll be tempted to do something similar for the
Sugar python code so I can generate actual source code maps showing
how the classes/modules/methods are related in the implementation.