[IAEP] OversightBoard/Minutes/Log-2008-08-01-follow up

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Aug 5 14:56:55 EDT 2008

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> David Farning wrote:
>> WRT--second server--  We have had an offer to host some of our
>> infrastucture at OSL[1].  Is this something we want to follow up on?
>
> Ivan, Bernie, Walter, what do you think? (I'm not sure if we have a plan
> for the second server hosting/sponsoring yet).

We discussed this a couple of weeks ago, but did not get the exact
terms of their offer.  I think we agreed that it is crucial for us
to retain full control of our infrastructure, with root access and
possibility to upgrade, replace or wipe the whole OS.

That said, any decent machine like the ones Ivan proposed [*]
would make a good secondary server for developer accounts, cross
backups and other low-security services.

If OSL or could offer something like this along with quality
racking and connectivity, I think it would be great.

[*] I especially liked this one:

$3265 -- HP DL385 G5:
  * 4-core 2.1GHz AMD Opteron 2352
  * 8GB 667 MHz RAM
  * 2x36 GB 15 kRPM hot-plug SAS drive, space for 6 more drives.
  * Redundant power supply, redundant fans.

--
   \___/  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
  _| X |  Sugar Labs Team  - http://www.sugarlabs.org/