[Gsoc] Python export functionality for Turtle Blocks

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri May 3 07:03:36 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 4:12 AM, Marion Zepf <marion.zepf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Walter, hi Raúl,
>
> I'm close to finished with my project proposal and I'll be submitting it
> today.  Here is the link again:
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2013/Turtle_Blocks_Python_export
>
> I was wondering how we should handle certain blocks that are very specific
> to the Turtle Blocks GUI in the exported code, e.g., show/ hide blocks,
> toggle fullscreen, load blocks/ palettes, print to the 'status bar', and
> change turtle shell.  If we want them to work exactly as in Turtle Blocks,
> we need to import a lot more classes from the Turtle Blocks code into the
> exported code.  That means that when users want to run the exported Python
> code on a machine that does not have Turtle Blocks installed, the user also
> needs to copy all the required Turtle Blocks modules to the other machine.
>  (Thinking about this, we probably first have to decide whether and how we
> want to ensure that exported code can be run on other machines that don't
> have Turtle Blocks installed.)  On the other hand, if we make these blocks
> have a different function in the exported code, that would confuse users.
>  After all, the exported code is supposed to behave the same way as their
> block code.  What are your thoughts on this?

I'd ignore those blocks for the time being. Let's get the basics up and
running and then we can think about which of these additional blocks adds
value. (Once the user is comfortable with Python, they should be
comfortable extending the block language themselves.)

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs