[Gsoc] Python export functionality for Turtle Blocks

Marion Zepf marion.zepf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 20:13:47 EDT 2013

Hi Raúl,

My name is Marion.  I am a student applying for the GSoC.  I would like to
work on a Python export feature for Turtle Blocks.  Here is a brief
description of my project proposal:

'Turtle Blocks Python export' lets the user export their programming
project from the Turtle Blocks activity to a Python script. The generated
Python code can be run outside of Turtle Blocks, for example from the
command line or in the Pippy IDE.
This tool is designed for users who are already proficient Turtle Block
programmers and want to move on to text-based programming. It helps them
transfer their knowledge and skills from block-based to text-based
programming, as they can see their own creations in a new programming
language. Thus, they can focus on the new language rather than the content
of the program.

You can find a more detailed description on
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2013/Turtle_Blocks_Python_export

One of the questions I have to answer for my application is, 'If your
project is successfully completed, what will its impact be on the Sugar
Labs community?' I am required to include answers from the Sugar Labs
community.  Walter has already given me his, and I would like to ask you
for your answer to this question.

Thank you very much.
Marion