[Gsoc] Python export functionality for Turtle Blocks

Marion Zepf marion.zepf at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 08:07:07 EDT 2013

Hi,

My name is Marion Zepf and I am interested in the project 'Python export
functionality for Turtle Blocks'.  Python is my favorite programming
language and I often teach programming or other computer skills to my
friends and family.  I think it is very important to teach programming to
children because it is a very important skill in today's world.  Children
are also very keen on playing around with the programming language, which
is very important for learning new features of it.  This is why I would
like to make the step from block-based programming to writing code easier
for them.

My Background
I am a student of computational linguistics in my 6th semester.  I taught
myself Python programming before I went to university.  So, I have three
years of experience in writing Python programs of various kinds - from
simple command line utilities to GUI applications (using the pygame and
tkinter libraries) and code generators for Java code.  I also have strong
competence in the object oriented programming paradigm.  I am new to
Berkeley Logo, but I learn quickly, so I expect to acquire good Logo skills
in a few days.
This will be my first contribution to the open source community.  However,
I am familiar with commonly used frameworks and tools like version control
software (svn, git), Eclipse IDE, and autotools.
I have made myself familiar with the TurtleArt Activity in Sugar On A Stick
as well as in the Debian package 'turtleart'.

Before I start writing my project proposal, I have a few questions about
this project:
(1) Which git repositories/ branches should I clone?  I have found a list
of repositories on
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Source_Code
but I am not sure which ones I need and how to fit them together.
(2) I understand that TurtleArt is written in Python, but the code that
users generate by putting together the blocks is in a different, internal
language.  Is there documentation available for the syntax and semantics of
this language?

Thank you.
Marion