[math4] willing to contribute to fourthgardemath

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 03:19:04 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 12:22, Kalpa Welivitigoda <callkalpa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am Kalpa Pathum Welivitigoda from Sri Lanka and I'm reading for my
> degree in Electrical Engineering. I love maths and maths is highly
> used in my studies and I though to join this project and share my
> knowledge.

Welcome.

> For the moment, I am contributing to Sugar in lokalization and in
> packaging sugar activities for Fedora.

Excellent. I have a possible project for your consideration, to turn
Ken iverson's final version of his APL programming language into a
Sugar activity and also to package it for Fedora. Iverson taught
primary school arithmetic once using a loaned IBM 360 with Selectric
printing terminals, and wrote textbooks on Arithmetic, Algebra, and
Analysis. Here is a little bit of Arithmetic.

   2+3
5
   i. 3
0 1 2
   1+a =. i.3
1 2 3
   a+/a
0 1 2
1 2 3
2 3 4

and so on, with builtin functions for polynomials, permutations,
solving systems of linear equations, trig, hyperbolic, exponential,
hypergeometric functions, a derivative operator, and much more.
Command-line, Web, and GTK versions are provided.

The language, now called J, was recently put under GPL3, and the
textbooks under Creative Commons-BY-SA. I have started to enter the
algebra book on the Sugar Labs Replacing Textbooks server.

Links:

http://jsoftware.com/

J downloads, docs, mailing lists

http://booki.flossmanuals.net/make-your-own-sugar-activities/_edit/
As it says

http://booki.treehouse.su/algebra-an-algorithmic-treatment/

I will create a J version of all of the Math4Team content.

> So if there's any way I can contribute to Math4Team I highly appreciate.

Likewise.