[math4] Introduction

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 17:03:54 EDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 16:20, Steve Richards <sbrichards at mit.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
> I Recently joined the OLPC project to contribute in helping with support,

Welcome.

> I looked around and found the Math4 project very interesting. I'm a
> somewhat-proficient Python programmer and writer, I've contributed to many
> open source / free projects and am also a volunteer admin for gnu.org and
> python.org. I'd be very interested in helping with the project in any way,
> whether that be writing/documentation or if my mediocre programming skills
> are needed.

There are many projects that can use your skills. You can take a look
at the existing activities, and see whether there are any needing
coding or documentation that is within your range. You can join the
development discussions on IRC. You can look at the Redplacing
Textbooks project, both on the Sugar Labs Wiki and on its own server,
booki.treehouse.su. I am working on an algebra book in J, the latest
version of APL. You would be welcome to do something similar using
Python, and perhaps NumPy.

Here on this list we need to enumerate 4th-grade math topics and
determine which can be handled by existing software (such as Abacus,
Calculate, Turtle Art, Etoys, Dr. Geo) and which could benefit from
new activities.

See also Make Your Own Sugar Activities,

http://booki.flossmanuals.net/make-your-own-sugar-activities/_edit/