[math4] Introduction of MIT graduate team working with Sugar Labs

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 01:45:37 EST 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 20:43, Julie Lein <j2ulie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Sugar Community,
>
> We are MBA candidates at MIT working with Sugar Labs to help generate
> awareness for the organization as an independent, open-source educational
> innovator for children. To do this, we would love your input!

Delighted to hear from you. After you get through with this survey, I
would love to talk with you about other projects.

There are major business opportunities surrounding the OLPC+Sugar
project, as described on the Earth Treasury Web site. And a good
thing, too, since the intention is to create enough jobs for our
millions of graduates. We have a global economy to create, in the tens
of trillions of dollars annually. And major problems to solve, so that
I am particularly glad that we will be teaching up to a billion
children how to collaborate.

> We will be sending out a brief survey to assess how Sugar and Sugar Labs are
> perceived by those who know them best.

I have written widely against the errors of those who know them least,
but feel entitled to inflict their uninformed opinions on the world.
Your results should be useful in this endeavor.

> We would be very grateful if you
> would take a few moments of your time to share your perspectives with us.
> We will use your input to generate strategic recommendations for how Sugar
> Labs can increase its reach throughout the global community.
>
> From a personal level, we all came to Sugar Labs due to our passion for
> education and international development.  Alex previously served in the
> Peace Corps,

I was in the Peace Corps in South Korea in the 1960s.

> Laura worked at a non-profit, Julie served on the Board of an
> educational non-profit for low-income students, and Parul has worked in
> software development with an educational focus.

I am a serial NGO founder, currently working on how to replace printed
textbooks with e-learning materials under Free licenses (GPL and
Creative Commons, mainly). For example,

http://www.booki.cc/discovering-discovery/

http://www.earthtreasury.org/